Monday, June 20, 2011

More Sewing and Dance Pictures!


Summer heat is finally here so it's time to hibernate in the house with some sewing.  My most recent project was a movie screen.  Yes a movie screen!  Shawn found a projector on Craigslist for cheap so he built a frame out of PVC pipe and with a trip to SAS for about $20 worth of white canvass we are now the proud owners of a poolside movie theater.  Here's a shot of the premiere night, it doesn't really show off my sewing skills but you get the idea of how much fun we are going to have all summer! Thanks Newton's for being our first movie guests.

Athena's dance pictures also recently came in so I thought I'd share a few that I had a little bit to do with.  I really should have taken some before and after shots of some of them because they really never look the same as when they come right out of the bag. First up is the opening costume, the smallest the shirt came was an adult small, so I ended up hemming and making wristbands for just about everyone.  With all the little dangling sequins it was a bit tricky.  Then we also attached fiber optic lights to the skirt and bow, I should really try and get a photo of it in the dark and see if it turns out because it was a really cool effect, especially since the song was Firework!

I also had a blast making these masks for the ballet dance.  There were sequins and feathers everywhere.  Shawn said my craft room looked like a bird graveyard.  The song was Down in New Orleans from the Princess and the Frog and it was just such a sweet dance and the masks and costumes were just perfect!

The tap costumes started out as one of my least favorites.  We ordered from a place we have never used before and when they came in they were just very unflattering on all the girls.  I was a little worried when Jan walked in the next day with two big bolts of fabric and sent it home with me to "fix" the sailor costumes.  But after cutting off a poorly placed skirt and lots of strangely placed sequins and then adding a real collar and new skirt and of course lots of bling they ended up being one of my favorites!  And how can you not LOVE red glitter tap shoes?
But probably my favorite of all was the trio she did with her two best friends.  The song was Side by Side and they were supposed to be hobos.  Once again I was a little scared when Jan showed me an old video of a costume and said "you can make that easily right?"  Well I managed to pull it off and loved the results!  I even made the hats, neoprene is an amazing but smelly fabric by the way.
Closing   
Here are a few others that didn't really have much added to them aside from rhinestones and a bow here and there. 
Jazz, I did make the choker, wristbands and bow.
Hip-Hop, The song was I Got it From my Momma so they all wore something that looked like it came out of mom's closet.  Athena's was socks :)
 



No comments:

Post a Comment