Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Athena's fabulous, wonderful, fantastic 9th birthday


My baby is 9! I have been watching all her old dance recital videos lately, and I pulled out her baby book the day before her birthday. It really seems like such a long time ago that we spent the whole day in the hospital, wondering when she was going to get around to being born. She spent a lot of her fisrt year crying. Then we moved on to those free spirited toddler years that really wore me out! So now I am trying to really enjoy the last few years of true childhood. Kids mature so much sooner these days, and although I love Athena's new witty sense of humor that has come with age sometimes she just seems a little too grown up!

If you remember from a few posts ago Athena had a very short list this year. After much deliberation and measuring of the backyard we decided to go with the trampoline as her gift from us. But we wanted it to be a surprise and for her to not have to wait the 3 hours while we were building it before she could jump. So... Shawn had the bright idea to put it up after she went to bed Friday night! Good thing we live in Arizona! So at about 9:00 p.m we headed out, Mike and Jon came over to help out too, and Hailey was on door watch (since she wasn't feeling well). We actually had the trampoline up in about an hour and a half so we figured the enclosure couldnt be that hard right? Wrong! It took us another hour and a half! But by her birthday it was up, it was tested by Hailey and Athena didn't hear a thing.

So she wakes up on her birthday morning. She opens all her gifts from far away family and friends. When we tell her that's it she says "what about presents from you guys?" I tell her we are saving them for her party later, could she please let Bubbles in for me. She opens the door and screams! It was one of the best little excited faces I have ever seen! She ran out and jumped, it was a little wet with dew so she had to wait a while to really get jumping! But she jumped and jumped and jumped. Then it was time to get ready for her party. As she was getting ready she came and said to me "if you happen to have any shoes you bought for me do you think I could open them to wear to the party?" I hugged her and said sorry the trampoline was all we could afford. Then smiled to myself knowing her friend Emily had bought the shoes she really wanted!

Her party was really nice this year. Just 4 of her closest friends. We had pizza, cake and ice cream, a pinata and Hailey gave them all face paint! I think most of all she just loved having them here to jump with! She got a few gift cards so we went shopping the next day and then had a movie and lunch playdate on Monday. So it was a very fun filled birthday weekend indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment