Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Love That Girl

I can't stop thinking about a conversation I had with Athena a few days ago.  We were talking about how she is planning to cut her hair after the dance recital in June and donate it to Locks of Love.

Athena: I like donating and helping people.  My goal is to go to Haiti someday.
Me: Oh yeah?  What will you do in Haiti?
Athena: Oh probably build playgrounds and schools or give medical attention.
Me: So does that mean you want to be a doctor?
Athena: Yeah maybe.
Me: Why Haiti?
Athena: I don't know, it just seems like a place that needs help, because of that earthquake.  Maybe I will go somewhere else.  But don't worry Mom I won't stay there forever.
Me: That's good because I would miss you.

How did she get this way?  We aren't not charitable people, but we are no where near the kind of people that would travel to another country to build playgrounds.  We give to Goodwill, throw our change in the donation jar, I even donated my hair a few years ago but mostly just because I wanted it cut off.  I hope she stays this way because when an 11 year old makes you want to be a better person it is truly a remarkable thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment